Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cancer

Ugh. I hate that word. It's so unpredictable. So devastating. The results of Derek's mom's surgery yesterday were not what we hoped. I have been putting off writing this post because I haven't been sure what to say. We don't know all the details yet and will find out a lot more tomorrow (hopefully) but I didn't want to put off any longer asking for your prayers.

They found cancer in a spot that they cannot surgically remove it. And the chances of being able to cure it are not so good. Like 10%. But it isn't terminal. Which is the good news. Either way, one thing I remember my friend Libby writing when she first found out she had cancer was that their hope was not in percentages or statistics. And ours is not either. I was reminded of the time when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. Jesus heard Lazarus was sick  while he was still alive. But he waited 2 days to leave to go to him. And when he got there Lazarus was dead. And Martha said to Jesus "If you had been here my brother would not have died." Later Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. When statistically he would have had less than 0% chance of survival. So our hope is not in numbers, and it is not in how or when we think Jesus should bring healing. We trust Him and know He is capable.

So I am asking you to pray for healing. Pray for peace and comfort for our family. There is so much more I could say about Linda, how wonderful she is, how strong she is, etc. But for now if you could please just pray for her and for us, for Derek's dad, his brothers and their families, her sisters and their families. I know it would mean so much to all of us. And I believe it will make a difference. Thanks friends.

5 comments:

jenna said...

i'm praying, friend. i love you!

Jen said...

harrision sent out an email to the listserv and i just felt heart broken reading it...I will definitely be praying for all those things.

Callie said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Anne - I'll be praying for you guys, and for healing for Linda.

libby said...

the ryder family is praying.

Mobile TV Repairs said...

Thanks, great post